Laziness and reluctance in reading some WARNINGS and INSTRUCTIONS may result in loss of money, personal data or a combination of all, and even more.
A reader by the name Blackmannen left a warning message in the previous posts urging people to take note of DV lottery and Green Card scams. I agree and strongly support his message.
Recognize and stay away from scams! That sentence can not be over emphasized, even though it has been written before and covered by many websites, people are still getting ripped off by crooks and scammers who pose as agents of the popular US DV Green Card Lottery.
Here is the correct information you need for USA's DV Lottery
The ONLY VALID and CORRECT website address for USA's DV Lottery is http://www.dvlottery.state.gov NOTHING LESS. NOTHING MORE. If the domain name does not END in .gov it is NOT a US government site.
For extra security, when starting filling out the form, opt for the SSL Entry
The SSL is encrypted in order to provide protection of your personal information. The protection feature is denoted by the letter 's' just next to 'http'.
It will therefore be: https://www.dvlottery.state.gov/application.aspx
Here are websites that has detailed information on how to avoid scams
US Department of State Warns of Impostor or Fraudulent Websites, Emails or Print Advertisements
US Federal Trade Commission Diversity Visa Lottery: Read the Rules, Avoid the Rip-Offs
Here are some 'stay away' warnings
Any person or website saying one or a combination of the following sentences is a crook, a thief and a scammer. Keep far from anybody, any group, any company, any agency, any organization, any website, any email and anything which convinces you that:
- they are affiliated with the U.S. government;
- they have special expertise or a special entry form that is required to enter the lottery;
- their company has never had a lottery entry rejected;
- their company can increase an entrant’s chances of “winning” the lottery;
- people from ineligible countries still are “qualified” to enter the lottery.
- There’s no charge to enter the green card lottery.
- Submit only one entry. If you submit more than one, you will be disqualified.
- Selection of entries is random. Spouses who are eligible for the DV lottery can apply separately.
- Be alert to Web sites promising government travel or residency documents online or by mail.
- Be skeptical of Web sites posing as U.S. government sites. Most of the wrong website try to have a 'look alike' of the USA's government agencies, official-looking emblems (eagles, flags, or other American images like the Statue of Liberty or the U.S. Capitol), the official seals or logos of — and links to — other government sites, and list Washington, D.C., mailing addresses.